Friday, April 20, 2012

The Girl With The Frog Umbrella

Girl with the frog umbrella, watercolour painting
The Girl with the Frog Umbrella
© Daniel Mackie
Source of Inspiration for this Poem

Sunny day outside.
She colors sitting on stairs,
gray crayon hides sun.
Her father left with suitcase;
mother cries bedroom to clouds.

Sad girl looks at sky;
tears leak sadness down her cheeks.
Sorrow calls the storm;
thunder shakes and rumbles house;
sorrow slides down silver walls.

Rain comes, splats music;
willows filter pain by drops.
Freshness clears her eyes
dancing blossoms entreat her;
she answers by waving back.

Wearing blue raincoat,
chrysanthemum galoshes,
and green umbrella,
she hastens to greet the rain--
splashing through mirrored puddles.

The park sings water.
ringing leaves and blossoms fall
on her umbrella.
By the pond she sees some boys;
she can't determine their play.

Approaching the pond,
light and rain fall green as grass.
Waters shimmer waves;
the boys have shiny black sticks
to attack a large green frog.

"Stop! Don't hurt the frog!"
The boys turn to look at her,
"We can cook his legs."
"No!" she cried "you can't hurt him
See him, he's a king of frogs!"

At this, the frog leaped
onto the back of a swan
gliding out of reach.
The boys screamed mean empty names.
She ran away. They chased her.

Across the bridge, she fled,
where a family waited
for the rain to end.
The boys reached the bridge, then turned;
the swan sailed under and turned right.

The girl watched its course
then sprinted back to meet it.
The black swan halted.
It ambled up the bank; then
the frog jumped onto her boot.

"Pick me up," he said
"Put me on your umbrella."
She obliged the frog
who transformed the umbrella!
Its colors began to change.

Fields of green filled
with sky, clouds. Flowers, reeds,
surrounded her head;
a year of seasons circled--
the frog became one with it.

She started walking.
The frog umbrella asked her,
"Tell me your wish, friend?"
"My wish is for your safety,
and my dad comes home again."

"I am safe, my friend,
you have given me the world.
Karma gives back too;
when you drop this umbrella,
you'll find your reward at home."

The umbrella turned
into a lake on that spot.
Once a vacant lot,
now it burst with green frogs' croaks,
vibrant calls from lotus land.

"Goodbye frog," she called.
She turned her eyes toward home.
She knew long before
she began to run,  faster --
her dad was waiting for her.

Inspired by the beautiful watercolor illustration by Daniel Mackie
which can be found here:
http://thecreativefinder.com/portfolio-image.php?username=danielmackie&id=4077&filename=frog-umbrella.jpg&title=Watercolour%20illustration,%20The%20girl%20with%20the%20frog%20umbrella.

A Tale of Friendship told in a Tanka Series
© Gay Reiser Cannon * 4.20.2012 * All Rights Reserved


36 comments:

  1. what a charming and fantastical story gay.. love the surreal images and the rain to sun mood, comforting and heart-warming....the only thing i have to say..the french...they DO it frog legs...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in New Orleans too - but it is a magical tale. This time the frog got away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. This is definitely a read aloud poem... I'm looking forward to sharing it with my youngest daughter tonight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Becky. Let me know what she says. I think this would be a good children's book with each tanka on a separate page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love it gay...it is fantastical like a fairy tale...and no good deed goes unturned as well...the pic is awesome, thanks for the intro to it as well....

    i need a further translation on 'they do it frog legs'...

    i have eaten them in alabama before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in Louisiana they say, "et" for eat - perhaps that's what Claudia meant (smile).

      Delete
  6. great fairy tale. why does it seem as if there is so little good work for kids out there?

    apollo and the two muses

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun way of working with a prompt picture! A charming fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I want a magical frog umbrella :). Lovely children's tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Anna - and I kinda sorta really really really wish Mr. Daniel Mackie would like my poem and agree to illustrate all of it. Well one can dream that famous painters could discover you, can't you?

      Delete
  9. Awwwww beautiful and magical...I knew I'd love this as soon as I read the title. How clever you are...Oh and that picture is just fabulous! A breath of fresh air today that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the creative tale Gay. The message is simple yet uplifting ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. *typing with a big smirk*
    I simply love this, Gay! 
    Words, images, and feeling...you always give me whatever I need at the moment and tonight, I needed this. Thank you!
    -Eva

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful, Gay. There are so many colorful mages woven through it, and the fantasy story has a marvelously happy ending for all. I see this as a childen's book, with illustrations to bring the magic alive. I say go for it, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful. You made me cry!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fantastical narrative that rings as authentic as any told by the Japanese or the Chinese. You held my attention right from the beginning, even through the elements where I had to suspend my disbelief. Bookmark-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Sam. I'm overwhelmed. How generous of you. Now I believe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really wonderful Gay and it makes me feel wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I finished reading this, and found my mouth hung open, I lost about 8 inches, and I'm wearing my Mary Janes. What did you do here? What you did was give me my own frog and he transformed me into a child again, reading a magical fairy tale...Oh how I loved this! You are a sorceress! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, you answered my question (and how very kind of you). Would the reader identify and put herself/himself into the poem. I considered giving them names and decided I wanted to keep it abstract. Thank you for your support and appreciation!

      Delete
  18. Lovely, lively, lily-strewn poem, Gay. Fine tale, lyric, fairy story. Every bit of it to savor. - Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very intriguing picture and what a brilliant poem to illuminate it. Brilliantly constructed, and full of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I almost don't know how to respond to this piece it is so brilliant, so humanistic, so magical! I absolutely love the picture of the little girl with the umbrella which speaks on so many levels. I would like to see this in book form.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very entrancing story, told so magically and with charm and understanding of the child's imagination. Stories of sorrow bring us closer to what it is we hold most dear and here we find family and friendship with the natural so clearly spun together in a wonderful fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a magical story, in linked tanka! didn't expect to see this.

    I'm glad the frog got away! But I do like frog legs.

    Tender, Gay, . like Elizabeth, this would be wonderful in book form.

    Lady Nyo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, I love this...such a magical & charming story...& with a happy ending! Lovely & so well told :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is, as others have said, magical and charming, transporting the reader into the world of the child. How I wish more stories ended so happily!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely poetic storytelling - it slightly saddened me, I felt the separation between the lonely girl and her father. The fact that she was looking for her king, looking for something, wanting to protect, and the setting in the rain with all of the colours of the girl reinforcing her bold character .... And the end was uplifting , full of hope and believe...quite beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Stu. There's a bit of a personal story mixed in. My father didn't return, and my mother grieved the rest of her life. In fairy tales anything can happen - frogs can rule their own world. Many frog species are endangered in today's world.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a sweet story...it is nice to read a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a magical tale! I really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a wonderful children's story. you should get this published. can you illustrate?

    when do we stop being a child

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this, the images particularly. I felt myself transported to an unreal world - not an accomplishment to be underrated.

    ReplyDelete