![]() |
| Courtesy of Wiki-Commons |
Waiting outside with a group of people who look exactly like and nothing like us-- all from somewhere else, California, Mississippi, Georgia, Canada maybe; waiting to get in an old building with a little doorway. Only guided tours and so we follow someone talking. My mind is sliding in and out of the movie The Godfather. Wasn’t it here or a couple of streets over where they shot it? Vendor calls sing in my mind, horse-drawn carts fill up the street crowding out shiny cars parked so tight, I can’t see how they’ll be able to pull out into the street. The hallway is dark. I hear the story of the lights and no lights and bars and saloon fights, the falls to the death hallway, the no lights hallway, the dark on the way to the outhouse hallway, generations down the stairs by day and night, filled with the smells of food outside, food cooking inside, the laughs, the drinks, the drunks, we’re still in the hallway and I reel to the thought of no running water here, the inside and outside here, and I love it and fear it and shake with terror and excitement but it’s all strange, nothing ever quite like it here but it’s America and I know it here and I don’t know it here. Not a world of emptiness, but a crush of people, a crush of America and I always had a crush on it, and the crush is blooming again into a real love, a true love, an historical love, a place that is other in the middle of what made this place my love, my home, my dream of America.
My grandmother, her grandmother, Granny Donnell –their images from life, from cracked photos flit through my mind as I try to place them in this hallway leading to an apartment, a “flat”, up a flight, a flight to a story of ice men bringing relief, coal and wood men delivering heat, and all familiar strangers speaking different languages. Cultures merge in the dark and all I really hear is the tutored news reader voice telling about certain residents known to live here among hundreds, did she say thousands, over the years. I’m at the back in the first little room with a tiny kitchen. I am hearing a jillion voices and the story is strange. It seems it belonged to a model, or a seamstress. I’m not sure I am keeping up. My inner voice is speaking in counterpoint to the guide. Then she tells us about the fire. I’m listening now. The fire—the Shirtwaist Triangle Factory fire of 1911. This girl may have died in the fire. They had to jump to their deaths or be burned alive. She was very beautiful. A model for the clothes, she also did detail work –finishing for the dresses made there. In the next room, a little factory itself with a sewing machine set by a window. This was one of the industrial workrooms for the garment district. And I’m seeing a big blond man in a tank type undershirt sitting by a window, ironing, and sewing, cutting and sewing, until it’s night --when he eats, sleeps and rises by dawn to begin again to get out the dry goods. I’m feeling smothered, and at the same time exhilarated when at last we enter the apartment on the top floor and then somewhere between déjà vu and my third eye, the movie really begins.
![]() |
| Orchard Street - New York Archives |
I hear no one talking now. The voice tells us things, of course but I’m in it (not hearing it)-- living it. I see her. I see her first and last. I see her of many ages. I see her young, I see her middle aged, I see her old. I see the kitchen table and it says everything. Life is food, food the source, food the culture, food her gift, food her history. Food brought to this table, food sorted on this table, food served on this table on the dishes and suddenly I see the dishes – two sets. Kosher, this tiny kitchen is kosher and I know it. I don’t see anything that says who they are; yet I know who they are. The husband here and not here, he’s a mirage wavering between the kitchen table and the bedroom with the huge bedstead and the short (really short) bed. He’s bearded, he’s frail, he’s coughing, and coughing. She sits and mourns him here and moves on after shiva.
There are children. Three or four, yes eventually five boys and the one girl– they’re all over the place. Crouched on the floor, the ever so clean floor, the scrubbed floor and studying, reading, writing, by candles, they’re reading and writing, and praying and I hear them. One sings, is singing Lithuanian folk songs; music rises up through the floor boards as the heat must have risen up to the top through the hole that ran from basement to roof as a way of ventilating the building. The movie runs forward and backward. The children walk in and out at all different ages. The one sweet little bed separating the kitchen from the living area; it, facing windows that looked into other people’s windows. That was the girl’s bed. Later a boarder shares it with her. It is so narrow and yet the family needed one of the factory girl’s rent to pay expenses. Boys grow to men and sleep sitting up on a sofa, their feet on straight chairs from the table, but like boys everywhere, they roll up in balls, kick their brothers, tickle and tackle until shushed by their mother and bossed by their tiny sister from the Jenny Lind spindle bed.
I’m mesmerized. People are leaving. I’m seeing history flowing through the windows. I feel this one space in the city change. It’s 2002, and the time has flung our planet through the universe during my life, and I’m feeling the miles traveled in this three room world of a family who lived here from 1907 to 1942. I hear the history, it rings the building, the sounds of skyscrapers rising, tenements falling, neighborhoods changing, friends moving. The mah jong game goes on. Her best friend from China from a few blocks over stays until the twenties. Then she moves to Boston with her sons who had Harvard scholarships. The boys so smart, all the boys so smart, so studious, so disciplined. That’s the only way to get ahead in America – plan, save, study. And the women are sitting at THE table and reciting cures, and telling maladies, the saving gossip of how to secure, how to protect, how to stay alive, how to survive solitude, misery, poverty; the festivals, the overlay of religion, of medicine, of ethics and I breathe it and it’s fine air—the air of freedom, the freedom of faith, of speech, of congregation, of enterprise in the city that welcomes all who yearn for it in a neighborhood in sight of that beacon to our shores, Lady Liberty herself.
© Gay Reiser Cannon * 2012 * All Rights Reserved
Posted for Poetics on dVersePoets Pub hosted 5/24/12 by Victoria C. Slotto
More information regarding The Tenement Museum here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_East_Side_Tenement_Museum


So many memories in a piece of film, it's like when you find some old family photographs at home that you haven't seen in a while and you're transported back to the era, the sights, smells and tangible arms of the past. I really enjoyed this short Gay it was well crafted, and an intelligent write. So nice to see this side to your writing, apart from the poetry!
ReplyDeleteLet me know the next time you get around to London, I've figured out the tube! Hooray!
I hope to come soon. I'm missing it so much. Would like to see the country again as well as London. I'm hoping for this autumn, but have to see how life goes between then and now. Thank you so much for the kind words.
Deletegoodness gay, your details are so rich in this that even though they flit here and there and spin the emotions around i find it so fascinating a story...i see history flowing through the windows...the man in the window tanked and sewing was vivid for me...i like much
ReplyDeleteThanks Brian. This is one that I hoped met your approval. I worked very hard to keep the present tenses. Roaming around through time, makes finding the verbs difficult. Appreciate all your comments, as always.
Deletewhat a love song this is gay...enjoyed each and every line..this is so felt...i still feel the blood pumping through these lines...directly from your heart..a wonderful write
ReplyDeleteThank you Claudia. I wondered if this would resonate as you were down in the neighborhood on your recent trip. Sometimes, I think a family, a building, a store can make an imprint on a place that lives and breathes in a vividly haunting way past its time. I do love New York.
DeleteThis was like watching one of the old, old black & white movies with no sound but with a written running commentary which pops up all through it. The pictures are wonderful but your piece bought the whole history very much alive. The sights, the smells, the sweat, the hard work, the freedom to be as diverse as you wished with religion and country of origin too.
ReplyDeleteWonderful piece of writing Gay!
Silent Movie - uh huh. It was like a double exposure experience - being in two time zones at once. It even had background music. Truly an original event in my life. Thank you.
DeleteOh, this is so good and it's like you captured a huge chunk of history in a few paragraphs of narrative poem. It worked to well as they're meandering down the street and all of a sudden we have a panorama of the world encompassed in the scene. Appreciated the references to Dublin as, coincidentally, I just began reading James Joyce's "Dubliners." Bravo.
ReplyDeleteVictoria, thank you so much. My mind runs like Joyce's prose. He never seemed "difficult" to me. I laugh when I think of a man I walked beside when I was in Dublin. Being an only child, I have off and on through my life "talked to myself" - just articulating my thoughts. This man was talking and I asked him if he were speaking to me. He smiled and said, "no, but feel free to join in if you like". That made me happy. I think that's the way I always felt too, as though I were happy to speak out my thoughts. I guess I knew then, I was truly Irish.
DeleteI did want to reference Joyce in this piece in some small way. I appreciate your comments!
I really enjoyed this dance Gay; it reminded me a bit of A.S. Byatt (one of my favs) and took me back to NYC. Wonderful how you manage to weave the history, the characterizations, and observations, enriching the flow.
ReplyDeleteThanks Anna. This place continues to haunt me. I felt as though I really knew this family and from time to time something about it comes back and reminds me of them as though I had actually known them. Time is a strange business and intrigues me.
DeleteBeyond Flash Fiction, a short story, a piece of novella, a fine stream of consciousness that transcends poetry, and is too poetic to be just prose. It was a rich embroidered ride and read, but the movie that resonated for me was Scorsese's GANGS OF NEW YORK; great energy here.
ReplyDeleteI love Gangs of New York. It did come out that year and of course, like all of Scorsese's NY films was shot in part there; however I hadn't seen it at the time this took place (surely just a short time later though). I remember distinctly remembering the Godfather II which had such rich detail about that neighborhood. Those images were vivid as I went through the building. Thank you so much for your kind comments...much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteTo be where you've been I can see it, the history of each and every step and place you touched , sat or thought of. This was brilliant
ReplyDeletehttp://leah-jamielynn.typepad.com/
Epic storytelling, Gay--so many stories in this country, so many times the family, each other, was all people had--you brought that tiny apartment vividly to life, or should I say, to our lives? Great stuff.
ReplyDeleteWonderful story - the voice behind it clear - and all that food! k.
ReplyDeleteA truly epic SOC writing....I really enjoyed your thought stream, the history & love of your country...much enjoyed, Gay :)
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing,Gay! We're driven through the time machine of nostalgic black and white panorama. Hope you get to go this summer to connect with your roots. Great prose, most welcomed amid the usual verses!
ReplyDeleteHank
Really like this one, Gay! You could develop this into a mini-film in its own right. The details you include bring this so alive. Have you considered submitting this to a literary or spec fic magazine?
ReplyDeleteLove this line especially: and then somewhere between déjà vu and my third eye, the movie really begins. -- oH YeS!
This is so alive! I truly loved it. Amazing writing.
ReplyDeleteas always Gay - it's a privilege to read what you write - that picture was fascinating - so much hustle and bustle - and you skillfuly take me through the changing images and scenes - like a movie reel - you are explaining and I was riveted - looking through your comments Gay others were too sharing in this delight - did I read that you are thinking of coming over here (UK) that would be brilliant - we have so much going on at the moment - the jubilee - fever building - and then the Olympics - did you say you have been before - hope you can make it - hugs and love Lib
ReplyDeleteI share you enthusiasm about New York, though I've really only visited once.
ReplyDeleteSo much detail.....such an amazing narrative... This had such historical depth and breadth- it bought the pictures to life- I just got such a itch sense of Americana (if that makes sense)- and although I can only imagine- this piece just made my mind move - created cinematic imagery....this was a like a film, a documentary , a history lesson, and an amazing story all in one- and this just spilled straight from your head? This place must be close to your heart for sure
ReplyDelete