Wednesday, January 16, 2013

SURVIVOR



Orphans and only children hold on
to little objects once owned by dead
people they loved, or relatives they think
would have loved them, if. That person
who bequeathed that cherished thing entrusted it

to be watched over or treasured by its caretaker.
The object holds the love of both.
This is the story of a sugar bowl I own.
It belonged to my great great aunt who saved my grandmother
when she fell ill with typhoid fever.

My grandfather and his four small children needed
care and feeding while she suffered. Being told not
to expect her to live, her aunt Effie, a convert to Christian Science,
came to help. She spent the interval between prayers, reading
aloud to the family from the texts of Mary Baker Eddy.

The miracle of the story was that my grandmother (Mam-ma) recovered.
She credited the faith of Effie, her dead mother’s sister
with her return to health but she did not adopt her faith.
Yet the story of the sugar bowl she inherited is much older.
Apparently its tale began in Bavaria, the home of both my mother’s

maternal grandfather (and by co-incidence 
my father’s paternal grandfather). The sugar bowl is marked with that name;
decorated with blue-violet hydrangeas which 
became Mam-ma’s favorite, (she spent much intense
time trying to cultivate them in the hostile Texas panhandle).

Molly Clifton Holley had been orphaned before she was one.
She’d been left in the care of her mother’s mother known to me
as Granny Donnell who’d opened the Oklahoma territory
emigrating from northern Ireland with two daughters; losing her husband
on the way. She’d staked a claim next to a family named Counts

who had four boys near enough in age to her two girls.
The sugar bowl belonged to the Bavarian Counts
family and was likely a wedding gift to a young emigrating couple,
packed safely for their voyage to the new world and eventually Indian Territory.
Its first miracle is that it survived that trip, the second surviving the

boisterous youth of their four young men. A tribute to the value
Mrs. Counts placed on the object, no doubt. Yet it shows
that through the years, it was prized not only for its shape and 
translucence but for its true utility as well.

I surmise when Clifton’s mother, Mary, married Tom Counts,
it was given to her by her new mother-in-law.
Sadly, she and Tom succumbed at a very early age
to the flu, leaving a baby girl and two toddling boys. By all accounts
the sugar bowl passed on to Mary’s sister Effie (probably when

she married Buford Sewell) and was in her care for sixteen
years until the young Molly Clifton married Ernest Holley
and set out on her own newly married adventure.
These bits and pieces I heard while drying dishes, being keen
not to break anything or tap a precious plate or cup.

For a while after Molly Clifton's death, it resided
in a breakfront in my mother's house which they shared
until Mam-ma's death at eighty-four. And there I found it
when clearing things after my own mother (Dorothy Holley Reiser) died.
I don't recall its ever having been in use for the iced tea or coffee

or sprinkling strawberries or countless other sugar dispensaries.
Mam-ma or Mother used another sugar bowl through the years.
I believed its sentimental attachment made it something kept unused.
In fact, I'd never even peered inside until last night – and was surprised to find it dirty.
Both the rim and deep inside were etched with a few areas of sand.

I believe that it was left there to tell its own last miraculous saga.
The reality of having made its way through the great dust bowl of the thirties,
a time when food and money were scarce; when dirt-filled every container,
even this one –precious to generations, simply decorated, this once-pure sugar bowl. 
Now it's history and whether or not it has more depends on you.

© Gay Reiser Cannon * 1/16/2013 * All Rights Reserved
This note to be left as provenance with the sugar bowl.


  

23 comments:

  1. wow...what a story...what a long way through different countries and history and how it was passed on, the different people, i guess there are many secrets and stories hidden on the ground of his bowl. fascinating to learn a bit more about your history as well.. was smiling at the bavarian roots..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating story...I have a samovar...a relic I inherited from the Russian side of my family. Your sugar bowl sits and waits for more history as does my samovar...Loved this tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I felt compelled to write this last night as I was thinking about which of my granddaughters to leave my precious acquisitions. I had seen Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl before Christmas and remember those stories about "black Sunday", the children's deaths, the dunes still in Amarillo in my youth. So having found caked bits of sand in the sugar bowl, it seemed an apt topic for today. Appreciate your comments. Would like to know more of the samovar!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Claudia..and thanks for reading. Yes, had a great time on the cruise with the Florida grandkids. It was quite an adventure, and a good time. Sorry to leave but much ahead with the move back and trying to sell the beach house. Wonder if I can still call myself Beachanny? Why not, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. these kinds of stories I love..mine would not go back so far, my goodness...reminds me of the movie The Red Violin in which a valuable violin passes through so many owners, travels the world, has it's own story to tell ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that movie a while ago. It didn't occur to me consciously as I wrote this but yes, I see the parallels. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic story, so amazing it has lasted all this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how much of "breakable" things get broken, it is amazing that something that fragile could last that long and through so much!

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful story, I love the idea of treasures holding on to their own stories like houses. The fingerprints of their owners travelling through time...it's a lovely thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it more or less wrote itself after I was examining it the other day. It was such a surprise to find the sand in anything my mother and grandmother kept immaculate. I knew it must have always been there as a reminder of what was lost.

      Delete
  7. oh wow...can i just go ahead an bow....you rocked this gay....goodness, great story telling....all the stories in these relics and objects....each touch another....so intersting to hink back on things like this and put the puzzle together....seriously rocked....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hosting FormForAll today and will be reading there. Will try to get over to you guys place to read the #OLN poems this weekend. Thanks again for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a story! More than one, in fact, and so beautifully told. A magnificent post. Thank you so much for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous story! I love the idea that it was sand from the Dust Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful words....lovely lines!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does this have anything to do with "...and unto dust you shall return"?
    Wonderful lines to follow thrugh the years a family treasure. MOST of us have them...but few can write them as you did here
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic story! Thank you so much for confiding it to us, it is a true part of the the living, breathing heart of history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great tale. I have a few pieces that I have a written story included with the piece so the next person will know it's history.

    Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete